Wednesday, September 11, 2013

The 12th Anniversary

12 years ago today, I experienced the beauty and destruction of humanity, while witnessing history. I also learned many things, some of which I'm sure I have yet to discover or discern. I learned what it is like to stand in line to die. I learned what motivates me to get out of bed every morning. I learned what true faith & spirituality are. I learned about unconditional love and lasting friendship. I learned about how thankful I am for the individuals that go to work daily to make me feel safe. I learned that the world is not always a nice place. I learned that I can be hated by a total stranger for reasons I'll never understand. I learned that you always have a choice about whether you view things in a positive manner or a negative one. I learned that if you allow hatred to consume you, it will. I learned that nobility doesn't really matter. I learned that what you are taught as a small child NEVER really leaves you. I learned that even though you might feel all alone, you never really are totally alone. I learned that in your darkest hour, you can find inspiration. I learned that in the midst of the darkness, you can find the light. I learned the light WILL be there so keep searching. I learned the true definition of altruistic and benevolent. I learned to appreciate my body, imperfections and all. I learned to appreciate the fact that I was born in the United States of America. I learned to be even more patient. I learned to trust my instincts. I learned to play the hand that I am dealt in life to the very best of my ability. I learned if I think I'm going to die, I will gladly drink from a stranger's cup. I sent a note to my grown step children this morning telling them that I am so glad I didn't succumb to weakness and my desire to sit down because I wouldn't have had the opportunity to be involved in their lives and to know them. We take for granted our mortality. As a U.S. citizen, I know I take for granted the rights and freedoms (no matter what I might think of politics) that my forefathers fought so hard for. I'm positive that if I would have been born geographically in another part of the world I would likely not be alive now. I'm pretty sure that I would have been beheaded or stoned to death because of my strong willed, independent, free-spirited soul. Each anniversary brings more insight and wisdom for me albeit not my preferred method of education.

No comments:

Post a Comment